Elise's Ramblings continue with more voices on Los Angeles, Classic Film, Theatre, Dining, Parenting, TV, Lifestyle, and Movies
Monday, October 26, 2009
Ice Skating in Santa Monica
When I was a girl we had an ice skating rink in Santa Monica, but now it's Fred Segals. I'll leave out my griping about gentrification and just cut to to where I tell you where you can ice skate in Santa Monica for the next few months.
From Now until January 31, 2010, the ice rink will be open Sunday through Thursday, 10am to 10pm, and Friday and Saturday, 10am to midnight Admission is $10 and includes rental skates.
Not only is there skating but there is also going to be an Guinness Book of World Records biggest ice sculpture in the shape of Scrat from the Ice Age movies. The unveiling will be tomorrow October 27 at 4pm.
See below for more details.
To coincide with the release of the Ice Age 3 Dawn of the Dinosaurs Blu-ray disc and DVD, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for Tallest Ice Sculpture at the opening of the ice skating rink, ICE at Santa Monica.
• The Scrat Ice Sculpture will stand at 45 feet tall
• Over 133,000 lbs. of ice will be used, gathered across 4 states
• Months of preparation went into the logistics
• Artists from Blue Sky Studios developed the look of the model
• The current record for the Tallest Ice Sculpture is 40.28 feet and was achieved by Michel Amann (France) in Ski Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates on April 20, 2006.
• World Figure Skating Champion Randy Gardner will perform to the “Walk the Dinosaur” song featured in the film
• The one and only acorn-loving Scrat will demonstrate his own skating abilities
• Skating for the entire family, including music and many more fun activities
• ICE at Santa Monica is an 8000-square-foot outdoor ice rink in Downtown Santa Monica
A team of 14 skilled sculptors from Ice Bulb LLC will build the world’s Tallest Ice Sculpture over a 4-day period on the ice rink at the ICE at Santa Monica. A Guinness World Records™ adjudicator will be present to oversee the attempt.
Tuesday, October 27, final Scrat sculpture to be unveiled at 4:00pm
• Entrance is Free to the public
• From October 27 through January 31, 2010, the ice rink will be open Sunday through Thursday, 10am to 10pm, and Friday and Saturday, 10am to midnight
• Admission is $10 and includes rental skates
* Stand-ups and in-progress check-ins available beginning Saturday, October 24
ICE at Santa Monica
1324 5th Street (at Arizona Avenue)
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment